IT is not a simple clerical matter

|
Today's Narragansett Times (22 April 2009) has an article about reinstating the live broadcasting of Narragansett Town Council meetings. The $30,000 to $40,000 prices quoted by Verizon and Cox are outrageous. For about $500 in additional hardware the Town could use its existing equipment to stream the meetings live over the web using Ustream.Tv. With a little more coordination the meetings could be made available for later viewing at Archive.org.

My research and experience over the last few months has told me that municipalities are not being given good technical direction. Municipal IT (Information Technology) needs to treated strategically and not as a simple clerical matter. Until that is done we are going to continue to see our money poorly spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do encourage commenting here and strongly hold that one should stand up for what one says. This blog is itself not anonymous because I stand up for what I say. To this end, anonymous comments are not permitted. Include your full name and email address along with your comment. I will use this information for confirm that you did post the comment.