Thank you and your staff for another informative capital budget meeting last night

|
Email to the town manager and council after the first capital budget meeting presentation

Thank you and your staff for another informative capital budget meeting last night. Every time I see the budget document I wonder how much hair was lost wrangling Microsoft Word and Excel together to produce it.

I have been giving thought to my call for online participation. For me the principle element of participation is awareness of the activities of the town and school administration. When you know what is happening then you know that you need to be engaged. (How to engage is a related but different participation problem.) While I have experience with commercial and open-source [1] tools that simultaneously enable internal management and external awareness for software development organizations -- such as issue trackers [2] and extranets [3] -- but my thinking is hindered by my lack of knowledge of what is done today in town and school administration. Would you or someone on your staff be willing to introduce me to the tools and processes the town uses to manage its activities? (I plan on asking Robert Hicks the same question.)

Yours truly,
Andrew Gilmartin

[1] The tool and documentation is free. Support is sometimes available at a cost. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source
[2] See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issue_tracking_system
[3] Shared and secured data. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extranet

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do encourage commenting here and strongly hold that one should stand up for what one says. This blog is itself not anonymous because I stand up for what I say. To this end, anonymous comments are not permitted. Include your full name and email address along with your comment. I will use this information for confirm that you did post the comment.