Draft legislation that would require the State Building Code Commission to provide the full codes online and free of charge

|
After viewing Carl Malamud's presentation about the building code industry (at Welcome to Code City!) I decided to ask John Leyden, Rhode Island's State Building Code Commissioner and my local legislators Senator Sosnowski, Representative Caprio, and incoming Representative Tanzi what Rhode Island was doing to make the code available online. After several email exchanges -- mostly about clarifying what was and was not online -- Senator Sosnowski is going to draft legislation that would require the State Building Code Commission to provide the full codes online and free of charge. This is great news. I do not expect the road ahead to make this legislation law to be without problems -- the codes' costs alone might be prohibitive -- but it is good to see Rhode Island taking the lead on this issue. Thank you Senator Sosnowski.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I do encourage commenting here and strongly hold that one should stand up for what one says. This blog is itself not anonymous because I stand up for what I say. To this end, anonymous comments are not permitted. Include your full name and email address along with your comment. I will use this information for confirm that you did post the comment.